first off, we have a guest chef here with us today, none other than my sister, mim.
as my dad has gone proper gluten-free on us (as of yesterday) he requested a bread-free lunch. i made mim make it because i was busy. that in itself is quite unusual. not that i was busy, that i let her make lunch. and she did a good job too! without further ado, let me present:
red rice (capsicum chilli fried rice)
ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 gloves of garlic, cut into very small pieces
- 2 cm knob of ginger, grated
- half a capsicum, cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot, cut into small pieces
- half a medium chilli, sliced into tiny pieces
- 200 g tofu, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- put rice in a saucepan, cover with water (plus about 5 cm) and bring to the boil. reduce to a simmer and cook until water has been absorbed.
- in a large fry pan (or wok), heat 1 tbs of coconut oil. add garlic and ginger, and cook for 1-2 minutes. add capsicum, carrot, chilli and tofu and cook for 5 minutes.
- once rice is cooked, add it to the vegetables. stir through to mix.
- clear a small part of the fry pan of rice and add egg. allow the egg to cook through before breaking it up and stirring through the rest of the rice mixture. add soy sauce and stir through.
- done! to serve as mim did, fill liquid cup measure with fried rice and invert. add a spring of basil to decorate.