hey, long time no post. i know.
today is my mummy’s birthday! aren’t you excited? of course you are.
we didn’t have anyone over for dinner today (we’re doing that tomorrow) so i was a bit lost as to what to make for dinner. i looked through like, twenty thousand recipes on all my favourite blogs but there was nothing i really wanted to make. so i went upstairs and started cooking. something.
i ended up making a sort of vegetable baked polenta pie. that doesn’t really have a solid form. it was actually really nice. really comfort-food-ie but without the unhealthy stuff. oh, by the way, i’ve gone uber-healthy over the tail end of the holidays. i’m now proper vegetarian, not just a half-arsed one who sometimes its meat and often eats fish, but an actual no-meat-whatsoever kind of one.
so… onto the recipe.
baked vegetable polenta
- 1 1/2 cups polenta
- 3 cups + 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 10 mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 broccoli, sliced thinly
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- salt and pepper, to season
- preheat oven to 220 degrees C. roast sliced broccoli in oven for about 10 minutes.
- pour polenta and 3 cups water into large saucepan. cook on a medium-high heat until water is absorbed into polenta. add oil, salt and butter and stir (still on heat) until combined.
- add mushrooms and zucchini to polenta mixture. sitr to combine well. add extra 2 cups of water and stir until combined. add egg and combine well. remove from heat. add broccoli and stir.
- pour polenta mixture into large springform (or similar) cake tin. sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
- cook in oven for about 1 hour.
- when serving, the mixture will still be somewhat liquid. use a scooping utensil to transfer to plate.