today has been bloody hot here in australia. like ridiculously hot. like i-can’t-move, i-can’t-think kind of hot. so what did i do? i made a roast.
nah… not quite.
i had originally intended my dinner to be served cold, like a roast veggie salad, but by the time night approached i had cooled down enough to reheat the veggies and serve with hot pasta. well, i didn’t have the pasta but the rest of my family did. i don’t they think it’s dinner unless there’s some carbohydrate like pasta or noodles. ah well.
roasted veggies and pesto
- 1 small-ish sweet potato
- 2 zucchinis
- 1/2 a head of cauliflower
- 5 small white potatos
- 1 zucchini
- 2 handful of fresh basil
- 2/3 c sunflower seeds
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove of garlic, sliced/crushed
- peel and chop sweet potato into small pieces. cut cauliflower into small florets. peel and chop zucchinis into small pieces. peel and chop potatos into small pieces.
2. spray 3 oven trays (or however many necessary) with oil. place veggies on trays and cook in an 220 degree (C) oven for about 20 mins.
3. FOR PESTO: grate zucchini and add all pesto ingredients to a blender. blend until a paste is formed. because there is no oil in this pesto (not even from nuts) it will probably be a different texture from what you may be used to (and it should be healthier for you as well).
4. remove veggies from oven and serve pesto on the side as a dip (or however you want to serve it. you can also serve this with some hot pasta and mix the pesto and perhaps some parmesan cheese through that.
hope you enjoy this light and refreshing meal! (i apologise for not having photos of the actual meal but it had already been eaten before i realised.)